How to choose the right managed detection and response service for your enterprise
Regardless of the size of your enterprise, the cyber security risks to digital systems have never been higher. Whether your clients are local or spread around the globe, modern, mature businesses need world-class, enterprise grade security to ensure they remain safe from cyberattack.
Increasingly, enterprises are seeking 24/7 managed services to detect and respond to security threats across their network in real-time. Not only can this stop attacks from occurring, it also allows systems to be brought back online quickly, reducing downtime and improving business continuity.
So what exactly is a Managed Detection and Response service, how does it work, and how do you choose the right service for your enterprise?
What is managed detection and response (MDR)?
Just as the name suggests, MDR services are designed to manage, detect and respond to security threats in a timely way to keep your enterprise-grade networks and critical infrastructure business safe.
Manage is about developing a very clear picture of exactly what’s happening in your digital environment at any moment in time, so you can correctly manage risk and maintain business continuity.
Detection takes a highly proactive approach to cyber security threats to identify and pinpoint any potential threats before they cause serious harm to your business.
Respond is focused on dealing with security threats in a timely and efficient manner, keeping your critical assets secure and business continuity safe.
MDR uses threat intelligence and advanced analytics in combination with human incident investigation and response experts. It also leverages powerful automated technologies which can be deployed at both the network and host layers.
Together, these strategies and tools provide a robust response service, including threat containment and support in bringing systems and networks back to normal operations.
Typically, MDR services provide a suite of integrated services across:
- Proactive, intelligence driven Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) & Threat Intelligence to greatly reduce the risk of false positives and provide visibility into legitimate attacks.
- Vulnerability management-as-a-service to identify significant risks to your critical digital services by combining attack surface visibility with attack vector analytics.
- A comprehensive Phishing-as-a-Service solution designed to keep your staff acute to threats, and your data safe and secure.
- Dark web monitoring and intelligence that delivers actionable intelligence against hazardous dark web threats.
- Timely incident response to measure the scope of an incident and immediately respond to maintain the integrity of your digital environment.
- Endpoint-as-a-service to monitor and respond to ransomware attacks and keep your data and devices safe with leading detection and response capabilities.
Why does your enterprise need MDR?
It’s a fairly simple equation – faster threat detection and response means less risk of damage to your enterprise. MDR services drastically reduce the time taken to detect and respond to cyber threats, keeping your enterprise safer. This also reduces the time taken to bring systems back online and for business to resume after a cyber incident.
MDR services also provide a host of other benefits, including:
- Ability to quickly identify and respond to threats without the need for any additional security staff, or enhance existing staff capabilities
- Enhanced productivity with scalable and flexible solutions designed to remediate incidents in real-time.
- Aligning security & strategy with defined solutions tailored to your organisation’s policies and procedures.
- Remaining compliant and building trust with customers and regulatory bodies.
What’s the difference between MDR and MSSP?
MDR takes cybersecurity to a new level. In the past, Managed Security Services Providers (MSSPs) provided general monitoring and security alerts, as well as services like technology upgrades and compliance.
MSSPs share security alerts with the customer, but the provider is not actively responding to threats. This places the responsibility back on the customer, who in some cases won’t have the internal resources to address these risks and will require external consultants to resolve any issues.
With MDR services, threats are detected quickly, and any response or action required is implemented immediately by the MDR team, reducing the risk of any damage to the enterprise through a delay in either detection or response.
Choosing the right MDR service for your business
There are a range of services available as part of an MDR package, so it’s important to take the time to understand the unique needs of your enterprise and choose the service that meets your requirements and works with your existing security strategy.
Here are some key considerations and questions to ask when choosing an MDR service:
- What systems and data does the MDR service rely on?
- What experience and specific expertise does the MDR team have?
- How does the MDR team stay up-to-date with the latest cybersecurity threats?
- Does the service run 24/7?
- How will the MDR team advise your team of any issues quickly and efficiently?
At RIOT, MDR services are delivered leveraging our 24/7 Security Operations Centre (SOC) to quickly detect, analyse, investigate and actively respond to threats. Using visibility and intelligence systems, we provide you with a comprehensive overview of the cyber threat landscape that allows you to gain control of what’s happening in your digital environment.
People are more connected than ever through technology at work and at home. We have access to multiple digital platforms, keeping us connected anywhere, anytime. As a result, enterprises are more susceptible to security weaknesses and the threat actors attempting to exploit and leverage access to your environment and data.
MDR provides the visibility and intelligence systems to give you a comprehensive overview of the cyber threat landscape, allowing your enterprise to gain back control of what’s happening in your digital environment.
By dramatically reducing the time it takes to detect and then mitigate cyber security risks, enterprises can build resilience and maintain business continuity.
Protecting your digital assets requires a strategic approach to address security threats. RIOT can provide you with security assurance to increase your business’ digital maturity. Find out more at https://riotsolutions.com.au/managed-services/managed-detection-response/